ARUP offers a comprehensive menu to assess patients with kidney stone disease.
Calculi (stone) testing specializes in two areas that provide valuable information to determine appropriate treatment and course of patient care:
- Assessing and monitoring the risk of stone formation (urine studies)
- Evaluating stone composition
- Approximately 11 percent of adults in the United States will develop kidney stones in their lifetime. These rates double in patients with a family history of stones.
- Men are two to three times more likely than women to experience kidney stones.
- The five-year recurrence rate is reported to be as high as 50 percent after the first episode.
- Incidence of this disease is rising and estimated to cost $5.3 billion per year in healthcare dollars.
Benefits of Calculi Testing at ARUP
- ARUP has designed efficient urine panels that assess stone-forming risk, monitor the course of therapy, and reduce testing expenses.
- The Stone Crusher, developed by ARUP Bioengineering Department, analyzes stones to determine their composition, which helps guide therapy in patients with a history of stone formation.
- This technology reduces processing errors and decreases turnaround time.
- A full stone analysis with a photo is available through ARUP’s enhanced reporting system.