ARUP Laboratories is a national clinical and anatomic pathology reference laboratory and an enterprise of the University of Utah and its Department of Pathology. With more than 3,000 employees, ARUP offers in excess of 3,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine screening tests to highly esoteric molecular and genetic assays.
Rather than competing with its clients for physician office business, ARUP chooses instead to support clients’ existing test menus by offering highly complex and unique lab tests, with accompanying consultative support, to enhance their abilities to provide laboratory services.
ARUP offers a comprehensive suite of services that enables clients to have a positive impact on their local health community. ARUP's Utilization Management Suite of Services includes:
- ARUP ATOP®—a laboratory analytics service designed to identify potential over-, under-, and mis-utilization of individual laboratory tests.
- ARUP Connect™—an online information system for referral test management; easily access test results, submit statistical data, and retrieve secure files.
- ARUP Consult®—a revolutionary guide, available on both PDA and Web platforms, designed to assist the clinician with laboratory test selection and interpretation.
- ARUP Direct™—a complete, start-to-finish outreach program designed to help every client, regardless of size or development stage.
- ARUP Gateway™—a uniquely integrated customer test menu tool, branded to serve the client's outreach medical community.
- ARUP Insource Advantage™—an analytical service that evaluates the economic feasibility of performing specific tests in-house (make) vs. sending these same tests to a reference laboratory partner (buy).
ARUP's clients include more than half of the nation's university teaching hospitals and children's hospitals, as well as regional hospital networks, multihospital groups, major commercial laboratories, group purchasing organizations, military and government facilities, and major clinics.
Since its formation in 1984 by the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah, ARUP has founded its reputation on reliable and consistent laboratory testing and service, a simple strategy that contributes significantly to client satisfaction. When ARUP conducts surveys, clients regularly rate ARUP highly and respond that they would recommend ARUP to others.
ARUP's comprehensive clinical and anatomic pathology test menu includes the areas of allergy and immunology, chemistry, cytogenetics, endocrinology, fetal risk assessment, genetics, hematology, hepatitis and HIV, infectious diseases, neurology, oncology, and pathology. ARUP performs 99 percent of all testing on-site, operating 24 hours per day, seven days a week, and processing more than 30,000–35,000 specimens of blood, body fluid, and tissue biopsies per day.
ARUP provides some of the best turnaround times available in the industry, due in part to the advanced instrumentation and automated systems used in specimen receiving, tracking, and retrieving. Test results are also rapidly delivered to clients through customized information systems.
Additionally, ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development, led by the efforts of the ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology®.
ARUP’s esoteric tests complement the resources of its clients. Medical consultation is provided by some of the most highly regarded medical professionals in the industry, and through a disease-management approach (including clinical algorithms), testing is identified that most appropriately monitors disease progression and therapy after diagnosis. Medical directors and genetic counselors are available for consultation and result interpretation.
Esoteric testing, medical consultation, and disease management are just some of the ways ARUP enables clients to meet today’s challenges. With a focus directed toward the future and its many possibilities, ARUP is committed to keeping abreast of new technologies, original research, and innovative ways to improve testing within the modern health care environment. Together, ARUP and its clients will improve patient care today and in the future.