Timely detection of in utero drug exposure is critical for effective detection and management of intoxication, withdrawal syndrome, and long-term needs (social and medical) for exposed neonates
Why Choose ARUP for Newborn Drug Testing?
- Panels designed to meet your facility’s needs - ARUP’s neonatal drug testing options in meconium and umbilical cord tissue test for 45+ drugs and drug metabolites and are based on highly sensitive and specific qualitative liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) for all analytes, eliminating the time-consuming immunoassay-based screen with reflex approach and potentially reduces costs by shortening the length of stay in the NICU.
- Access to medical experts – When you partner with ARUP for your newborn drug testing needs, you gain access to our toxicology medical experts. They are here to assist with test selection that best suits your facility and interpretation of test results. These experts contribute to academic research and literature in this field and to decision support resources found at ARUP Consult: Newborn Drug Testing.
- Value beyond the test*
- Enhanced reports
- Dashboards to track your facility’s drug positivity rates, and how they compare to national ARUP clients
*Available upon request
Drug Detection Panel, Meconium, Qualitative (3004583)
Drug Detection Panel, Umbilical Cord Tissue, Qualitative (2006621)
Meconium and umbilical cord tissue are used to detect and document maternal drug use during the last trimester of a full-term pregnancy. ARUP’s neonatal drug testing in meconium and umbilical cord tissue is based on highly sensitive and specific qualitative liquid chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). In most cases, additional confirmation is not needed and allows for faster delivery of results.
For additional add-on tests, visit our Laboratory Test Directory.
Drugs and Drug Metabolites Reported
Methadone metabolite (EDDP)
Heroin metabolite (6-acetylmorphine)
Noroxymorphone (umbilical cord only)
Propoxyphene (umbilical cord only)
Methylphenidate (meconium only)
Marijuana Metabolite, Umbilical Cord
Ethyl Glucuronide (Ethanol Biomarker), Umbilical Cord
Kratom (Mitragynine and Speciociliatine), Umbilical Cord
Marijuana Metabolite, Meconium
Chain of Custody May Not Be Required
Umbilical cord and meconium drug tests are performed to support clinical and social management decisions and do not usually require chain of custody.
If chain of custody is required, ARUP can provide a specimen tracking form to help authenticate the specimen collection and transport process, if desired. Contact ARUP Client Services for more information.
- Newborn Drug Testing: Laboratory Testing Options and What to Expect From Results
By: Gwendolyn A. McMillin, PhD
- Labmind Podcast: An Interview With Dr. Gwen McMillin: The Challenge of Newborn Drug Testing
- ARUP Consult: Newborn Drug Testing
Includes quick answers for clinicians, indications for testing, specimen types, and interpretation of results
- Newborn Drug Testing Brochure
Discusses features and benefits of newborn drug testing
- Umbilical Cord Collection Instructions Provides an overview of umbilical cord tissue collection for drug testing at ARUP
- Umbilical Cord Collection Video ARUP Laboratories, Published on Feb 26, 2018