Kristi J. Smock, MD
Chief Medical Director: Research and Development
Medical Director: Hemostasis/Thrombosis Laboratory
Professor (Clinical), University of Utah School of Medicine
- Medical Degree—University of Utah
- Residency—Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Hematopathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical, Hematology)
- Broad interests across laboratory hemostasis/thrombosis
- President—North American Specialized Coagulation Laboratory Association (NASCOLA)
- Vice Chair—College of American Pathologists (CAP) Hemostasis and Thrombosis Committee
- Treasurer—Thrombosis and Hemostasis Societies of North America (THSNA)
- Distinguished Editorial Service, Research and Practice in Thrombosis and Haemostasis (RPTH)
- The Bill Roberts Award for Clinical Excellence in Laboratory Medicine, University of Utah
- Outstanding Teaching Award in Clinical Pathology, University of Utah
- 40 Under Forty Honoree, recognition of achievements and leadership qualities making a significant impact on the fields of pathology and laboratory medicine, American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Kanack A, et al. Monoclonal and oligoclonal anti-platelet factor 4 antibodies mediate VITT. Blood. 2022;140(1):73–7.
- Kanack AJ, et al. Persistence of Ad26.COV2.S-associated vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT) and specific detection of VITT antibodies. Am J Hematol. 2022;97(5):519–26.
- Pikta M, et al. Establishing reference intervals for von Willebrand factor multimers. J Med Biochem. 2022;41(1):115–21.
- Mathew Thomas V, et al. Daratumumab as a novel treatment for refractory acquired von Willebrand syndrome associated with monoclonal gammopathy. Haemophilia. 2021;27(4):e563–e566.
- Volod O, et al. Interlaboratory performance in measurement of dabigatran and rivaroxaban. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2022;146(2):145–53.
- Smock KJ, et al. Cryptogenic oozers and bruisers. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2021;2021(1):85–91.
- Abou-Ismail MY, et al. Vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia following Ad26.COV2.S vaccine in a man presenting as acute venous thromboembolism. Am J Hematol. 2021;96(9):E346–E349.
- Moser KA, et al. Direct oral anticoagulant (DOAC) interference in hemostasis assays. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2021;2021(1):129–33.
- Smock KJ. ADAMTS13 testing update: focus on laboratory aspects of difficult thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura diagnoses and effects of new therapies. Int J Lab Hematol. 2021;43 Suppl 1:103–8.
- Carter-Febres M, et al. Improvement of bleeding manifestations of acquired von Willebrand syndrome after balloon aortic valvuloplasty in a child with aortic stenosis. Prog Pediatr Cardiol. 2021;60:101334.
- Moyer AM, et al. Genotype and phenotype concordance for pharmacogenetic tests through proficiency survey testing. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020;144(9):1057–66.
- Hayward CPM, et al. Patient advocacy and its importance to laboratory medicine practice. Int J Lab Hematol. 2020;42 Suppl 1:21–2.
- Liederman Z, et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: an international assessment of the quality of laboratory testing. J Thromb Haemost. 2019;17(12):2123–30.
- Van Cott EM, et al. Innovations in thrombosis and hemostasis: a glimpse toward the future of diagnostic analyzers. Sem Thromb Haemost. 2019;45(3):225–7.
- Smock KJ, Moser KA. What have we learned from coagulation laboratory participation in external quality programs?. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019 May;41(Supp 1):49–55.
- Chandler WL, et al. External quality assurance of platelet function assays: results of the College of American Pathologists proficiency testing program. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):472–82.
- Khan J, et al. Venous thrombotic risk in transgender women undergoing estrogen therapy: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Clin Chem. 2019 Jan;65(1):57–66.
- Streiff MB, et al. NCCN guidelines insights: cancer-associated venous thromboembolic disease, version 2.2018. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018 Nov;16(11):1289–03.
- Crist RA, et al. Evaluation of a new commercial method for von Willebrand factor multimeric analysis. Int J Lab Hematol. 2018 Jun 19.