Skip to main content
Kristi J. Smock, MD
Medical Director: Hemostasis/ Thrombosis Laboratory
Associate Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Medical Degree—University of Utah
- Residency—Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Hematopathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical, Hematology)
- Broad interests across laboratory hemostasis/thrombosis
- The Bill Roberts Award for Clinical Excellence in Laboratory Medicine, University of Utah
- Outstanding Teaching Award in Clinical Pathology, University of Utah
- 40 Under Forty Honoree, recognition of achievements and leadership qualities making a significant impact on the fields of pathology and laboratory medicine, American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
- Smock KJ, Moser KA. What have we learned from coagulation laboratory participation in external quality programs?. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019 May;41(Supp 1):49–55.
- Chandler WL, et al. External quality assurance of platelet function assays: results of the College of American Pathologists proficiency testing program. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019 Apr;143(4):472–82.
- Khan J, et al. Venous thrombotic risk in transgender women undergoing estrogen therapy: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Clin Chem. 2019 Jan;65(1):57–66.
- Streiff MB, et al. NCCN guidelines insights: cancer-associated venous thromboembolic disease, version 2.2018. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018 Nov;16(11):1289–03.
- Crist RA, et al. Evaluation of a new commercial method for von Willebrand factor multimeric analysis. Int J Lab Hematol. 2018 Jun 19.
- Gangaraju R, et al. Rare complication of treated immune thrombocytopenia. Am J Hematol. 2017 Nov;92(11):1262–6.
- Rudolf J, et al. Organizational benchmarks for test utilization performance: an example based on positivity rates for genetic tests. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Apr 1;147(4):382–9.
- Goodwin AJ, et al. Issues surrounding age-adjusted D-dimer cutoffs that practicing physicians need to know when evaluating patients with suspected pulmonary embolism. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Mar 7;166(5):361–3.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Statistical literacy among academic pathologists: a survey study to gauge knowledge of frequently used statistical tests among trainees and faculty. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017 Feb;141(2):279–87.
- Van Cott EM, et al. Testing for dabigatran and rivaroxaban by clinical laboratories. Am J Hematol. 2016 Nov;91(11):E464–7.
- Zantek ND, et al. An assessment of the state of current practice in coagulation laboratories. Am J Clin Pathol. 201 Sep;146(3):378–83.
- Smock KJ, et al. Protein S testing in patients with protein S deficiency, factor V Leiden, and rivaroxaban by North American Specialized Coagulation Laboratories. Thromb Haemost. 2016 Jul 4;116(1):50–7.
- Smock KJ. The role of ADAMTS13 testing in the work-up of patients with suspected thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Clinical Laboratory News. 2016 Apr 1;42(4):10–4.
- Sono-Koree N, et al. A high-performance liquid chromatography method for the serotonin release assay is equivalent to the radioactive method. Int J Lab Hematol. 2016 Feb;38(1):72–80.
- Staddon JH, et al. Pegasparaginase treatment alters thrombin generation by modulating the protein C and S system in acute lymphoblastic leukaemia/lymphoma. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2015 Oct;26(7):840–3.
- Streiff MB, et al. Cancer-associated venous thromboembolic disease, version 1.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2015 Sep;13(9):1079–95.
- Desai DS, et al. Elderly female with a personal and family history of a bleeding disorder. Clin Chem. 2015 Jul;61(7):909–12.
- Zantek ND, et al. Quality of factor XI activity testing in North American Specialized Coagulation Laboratories. Int J Lab Hematol. 2015 May;37(Suppl 1):99–107.
- Smock KJ, Perkins SL. Thrombocytopenia: an update. Int J Lab Hematol. 2014 Jun;36(3):269–78.
- Smock KJ, et al. Assessment of orally-dosed commercial silver nanoparticles on human ex vivo platelet aggregate. Nanotoxicology. 2014 May;8(3):328–33.
- Smock KJ, et al. Expression of Notch1 and mTOR pathway proteins in pediatric lymphoblastic lymphoma; A Children’s Oncology Group report. Journal of Hematopathology. 2014 Mar;7(1):9–14.
- Hsu P, et al. Factor XIII assays and associated problems for laboratory diagnosis of factor XIII deficiency: an analysis of International Proficiency testing results. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014 Mar;40(2):232–8.
- Smock KJ, et al. Proficiency testing results for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in North America. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014 Mar;40(2):254–60.