Skip to main content
Lauren N. Pearson, DO, MPH
Chief Medical Officer, ARUP at University of Utah Health
Associate Professor (Clinical), University of Utah School of Medicine
- Master’s Degree—Public Health, Touro University California
- Medical Degree—Touro University California
- Residency—Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Chief Resident, University of Vermont College of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical)
- Community health
- Quality management and quality control
- Pearson LN, et al. Side-effects of COVID-19 on patient care: an INR story. J Appl Lab Med. 2021;6(4):953–61.
- Okoye NC, et al. Performance characteristics of BinaxNOW COVID-19 antigen card for screening asymptomatic individuals in a university setting. J Clin Microbiol. 2021;59(4):e03282–20.
- Pearson LN, et al. Reliability of total nucleated cell counts in the setting of hip arthroplasty. J Appl Lab Med. 2020;6(3):679–87.
- Schmidt RL, Moore RA, Pearson LN. The costs and benefits of cross-level quality control rules. Clin Chim Acta. 2020;510:697–702.
- Pearson LN, Moser KA, Schmidt RL. D-dimer varies widely across instrument platforms and is not a reliable indicator of periprosthetic joint infections. Arthroplast Today. 2020;6(4):686–8.
- Goold E, Pearson L, Johnson LM. Can fecal calprotectin serve as a screen for necrotizing enterocolitis in infants? Clin Biochem. 2020;84:51–4.
- Schumacher JA, et al. Detection and quantification of FLT3 internal tandem duplication mutations do not vary significantly between whole blood and blast-enriched samples. Am J Clin Pathol. 2020;153(2):251–7.
- Walker BS, Pearson LN, Schmidt RL. An analysis of multirules for monitoring assay quality control. Lab Med. 2020;51(1):94–8.
- Schmidt RL, Pearson LN. Quality control optimization part II: a method to optimize the accuracy of laboratory quality control. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;495:233–8.
- Schmidt RL, Pearson LN. Quality control optimization part I: metrics for evaluating predictive performance of quality control. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;495:174–84.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Severe intravascular hemolysis following extracorporeal right ventricular assist device placement. Transfusion. 2019;59(4):1178–9.
- Schmidt RL, Pearson LN. Estimating the cost of quality of errors in the analytical phase. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;495:60–6.
- Pearson LN, et al. Combined pathology-driven algorithmic testing and integrated reporting for bone marrow examination. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019;143(6):732–7.
- Schmidt RL, Pearson LN. Is your assay stable? Using process stability and capability to evaluate assay performance. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;490:28–33.
- Pearson LN, Schmidt RL. Adoption of evidence-based medicine in clinical laboratory science: a survey of the prevalence of systematic and narrative reviews. Lab Med. 2019;50(3):223–8.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration cytology for discrimination of squamous cell carcinoma from adenocarcinoma in non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Cytol. 2018;62(5–6):318–26.
- Lehman CM, et al. A reflex protocol for creatinine testing reduces costs and maintains patient safety. Lab Med. 2019;50(2):202–7.
- Pearson LN, Layfield LJ, Schmidt RL. Cost-effectiveness of rapid on-site evaluation of the adequacy of FNA cytology samples performed by nonpathologists. Cancer Cytopathol. 2018;126(10):839–45.
- Pearson L, et al. A composite renal tumor with dual differentiation, chromophobe and collecting duct carcinoma. Case Rep Pathol. 2018;2018:2410920.
- Adams A, et al. Peritoneal and pleural fluid chemistry measurements performed on three chemistry platforms. Lab Med. 2019;50(2):145–9.
- Schmidt RL, Walker BS, Pearson LN. Quality control limits: are we setting them too wide? Clin Chim Acta. 2018;486:329–34.
- Pearson L, et al. Rapid on-site evaluation of fine-needle aspiration by non-cytopathologists: a systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy studies for adequacy assessment. Acta Cytol. 2018;62(4):244–52.