Skip to main content
Ryan A. Metcalf, MD, CQA(ASQ)
Section Chief, Transfusion Medicine
Medical Director: Transfusion Service/Blood Bank
Associate Professor (Clinical), University of Utah School of Medicine
- Transfusion medicine
- Clinical pathology
- Medical Degree—University of California Davis School of Medicine
- Residency—Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Transfusion Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Blood Bank/Transfusion Medicine, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology)
- Patient blood management
- Data-driven quality management
- Outstanding Teaching Award in Clinical Pathology, 2020, Department of Pathology, University of Utah
- Benson AE, et al. Transfusion preparedness on labor and delivery: an initiative to improve safety and cost. Obstet Gynecol.. 2021. [Published online ahead of print Oct 2021]
- Fennell K, et al. New ABO intron 1 variant alleles. Immunohematology. 2021.
- Allen ES, et al. Current advances in transfusion medicine 2020: a critical review of selected topics by the AABB Clinical Transfusion Medicine Committee. Transfusion. 61(9):2756–67.
- Lin H, et al. Sanguine: visual analysis for patient blood management. Information Visualization. 2021. [Published online ahead of print]
- Corean J, et al. Platelet component false positive detection rate in aerobic and anaerobic primary culture: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfus Med Rev. 2021;35(3):44–52.
- Moore RA, et al. In reply: window periods for secondary bacterial culture of platelets according to FDA guidance. Transfusion. 2021;61(4):1343-4.
- Karafin MS, et al. Heterogeneity in approaches for switching from universal to patient ABO type-specific blood components during massive hemorrhage: an international survey and review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2021. [Published online ahead of print Mar 2021]
- Self WH, et al. Passive immunity trial for our nation (PassITON): study protocol for a randomized placebo-control clinical trial evaluating COVID-19 convalescent plasma in hospitalized adults. Trials. 2021;22(1):221.
- Silva O, et al. Classic Hodgkin lymphoma in Guatemalan children of age less than six years: analysis of immune regulatory pathways and the tumor microenvironment. Leuk Lymphoma. 2021;62(7):1609–18.
- Cohn CS, et al. COVID-19 convalescent plasma: interim recommendations from the AABB. Transfusion. 2021;61(4):1313–23.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Electronic clinical decision support: evidence that default settings influence end user behavior. Transfusion. 2021;61(3):669-70.
- Moore RA, et al. The impact of the sample time of secondary bacterial culture on the risk of exposure to contaminated platelet components: a mathematical analysis. Transfusion. 2021;61(3):873–82.
- Luetkens T, et al. Successful transfer of anti-SARS-CoV-2 immunity using convalescent plasma in a multiple myeloma patient with hypogammaglobulinemia and COVID-19. Blood Adv. 2020;4(19):4864–8.
- Corean J, et al. The incremental benefit of anaerobic culture for controlling bacterial risk in platelets: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Vox Sang. 2021;116(4):397–404.
- Walker BS, et al. Residual bacterial detection rates following primary culture as determined by secondary culture and rapid testing in platelet components: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfusion. 2020;60(9):2029–37.
- Walker BS, et al. The comparative safety of bacterial risk control strategies for platelet components: a simulation study. Transfusion. 2020;60(8):1723–31.
- Pagano MB, et al. Current advances in transfusion medicine: a 2019 review of selected topics from the AABB Clinical Transfusion Medicine Committee. Transfusion. 2020;60(7):1614–23.
- White SK, et al. Bacterial contamination rate of platelet components by primary culture: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Transfusion. 2020;60(5):986–96.
- Lim MY, et al. Things we do for no reason: routinely prescribing transfusion premedication to prevent acute transfusion reactions. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2020;15(11):684–6.
- Gavva C, et al. Response to random apheresis platelets versus HLA-selected platelets versus pooled platelets in HLA-sensitized patients. Transfusion. 2019;59(7):2276–81.
- Metcalf RA, et al. The association of inpatient blood utilization and diagnosis related group weight: implications for risk-adjusted benchmarking. Transfusion. 2019;59(7):2316–23.
- Pagano MB, et al. Evaluating safety and cost-effectiveness of platelets stored in additive solution (PAS-F) as a hemolysis risk mitigation strategy. Transfusion. 59(4):1246–51.
- Metcalf RA, Calvaresi E, Tonna JE, Blaylock R, Pearson L (2019). Severe hemolysis following extracorporeal right ventricular assist device placement. Transfusion. 2019;59(4): 1178–9.
- Murphy C, et al. Transfusion associated chest pain. Transfusion. 2019;59(2):463–9.
- Metcalf RA, et al. Severe ABO hemolytic disease of the newborn requiring exchange transfusion. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2019;41(8):632–4.
- Metcalf RA, et al. A data-driven patient blood management strategy in liver transplantation. Vox Sang. 2018. [Published online ahead of print May 2018]
- Corean J, et al. Quality improvement after multiple fatal transfusion-transmitted bacterial infections. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018;149(4):293–9.
- Pagano MB, et al. A high plasma: red blood cell transfusion ratio during liver transplantation is associated with decreased blood utilization. Vox Sang. 2018;113(3):268–74.
- Hess JR, et al. Quality management of a massive transfusion protocol. Transfusion. 2018;58(2):480–4.
- Mays, JA, et al. Transfusion support for transgender men of childbearing age. Transfusion. 2018;58(3):823–5.
- Hess JR, et al. Building a new transfusion service. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;148(2):173–8.