Skip to main content
Gwendolyn A. McMillin, PhD, DABCC (CC,TC), FAACC
Scientific Director: Mass Spectrometry Platform
Medical Director: Clinical Toxicology
Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Doctorate Degree—Pharmacology, University of Utah
- Fellowship—Clinical Chemistry, University of Utah
- American Board of Clinical Chemistry (Clinical Chemistry, Toxicological Chemistry)
- Newborn Drug Exposures
- Analytical Methods
- Past Chair Award, TDM and Toxicology Division, American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 2014
- Ellis Benson Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, 2012
- Outstanding Speaker Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry 2009, 2011, and 2013
- McMillin GA, et al. A hybrid approach to urine drug testing using high-resolution mass spectrometry and select immunoassays. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Feb;143(2):234–40.
- McMillin GA, et al. Patterns of drugs and drug metabolites observed in meconium: what do they mean? Ther Drug Monit. 2015 Oct;37(5):568–80.
- Kalman LV, et al. Pharmacogenetic allele nomenclature: International workgroup recommendations for test result reporting. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2016 Feb;99(2):172–85.
- Haglock-Adler CJ, et al. Development of a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method to address the increased utilization of umbilical cord in the assessment of in utero drug exposure. Clin Biochem. 2016 Sep;49(13–14):1092–5.
- Hyun G, et al. Use of signals and systems engineering to improve the safety of warfarin initiation. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016 Nov;42(4):529–33.
- Powers JL, et al. Multigene and Drug Interaction Approach for Tamoxifen Metabolite Patterns Reveals Possible Involvement of CYP2C9, CYP2C19, and ABCB1. J Clin Pharmacol. 2016 Dec;56(12):1570–81.
- Leung EY, et al. Validation of an extensive CYP2D6 assay panel based on invader and TaqMan copy number assays. J Appl Lab Med. 2017 Mar;1(5):471–82.
- Wu F, et al. Stability of 21 cocaine, opioid, and benzodiazepine drug analytes in meconium at three temperatures. J Anal Toxicol. 2017 Apr 1;41(3):196–204.
- Gage BF, et al. Effect of genotype-guided warfarin dosing on clinical events and anticoagulation control among patients undergoing hip or knee arthroplasty: The GIFT randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2017 Sep 26;318(12):1115–24.
- Wu F, et al. Development of a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of four cannabinoids in umbilical cord tissue. J Anal Toxicol. 2018 Jan 1;42(1):42–8.
- Jannetto PJ, et al. Executive summary: American Association of Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Medicine Practice Guideline – using clinical laboratory tests to monitor drug therapy in pain management patients. J Appl Lab Med. 2017 Dec;2(4):489–526.
- McMillin GA. Pharmacogenetics of opioid use and implications for pain management – are we ready? J Appl Lab Med. 2017 Dec;2(4):481–4.
- Scroggin TL, McMillin GA. Quantitation of cocaine and metabolites, phencyclidine, butalbital and phenobarbital in meconium by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Anal Toxicol. 2018 Apr 1;42(3):177–82.
- Wabuyele SL, McMillin GA. Quantitation of Ethyl-β-D-Glucuronide in human umbilical cord tissue by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS). Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1872:223–36.
- Wu F, Jensen TL, McMillin GA. Detection of In utero cannabis exposure in umbilical cord tissue by a sensitive liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method. Methods Mol Biol. 2019;1872:211–22.
- Wu F, Melis R, McMillin GA, Johnson-Davis KL (2019). Retrospective data analysis of the influence of age and sex on TPMT activity and its phenotype-genotype correlation. J Appl Lab Med. 2019 Mar;3(5):827–38.
- Metz TD, et al. Prenatal marijuana use by self-report and umbilical cord sampling in a state with legalization. Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Jan;133(1):98–104.
- Melis R, et al. Post-mortem CYP2D6 genotyping and copy number determinations using DNA extracted from archived FTA bloodstains. J Anal Toxicol. 2019 Jun 1;43(5):411–4.
- Jensen T, Wu F, McMillin G. Detection of in Utero Exposure to Cannabis in Paired Umbilical Cord Tissue and Meconium by Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. Clinic Mass Spectr. 2019;1872:211–22.
- Maharjan AS, et al. The prevalence of DPYD*9A(c.85T>C) genotype and the genotype-phenotype correlation in patients with gastrointestinal malignancies treated with fluoropyrimidines: updated analysis. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2019 Sep;18(3):e280–6.
- Wood KE, McMillin GA, Krasowski MD. . Hosp Pediatr.
- Krasowski MD, McMillin G, Melanson S, Dizon A, Magnani B, Snozek C (2019). Interpretation and Utility of Drug of Abuse Immunoassays: Lessons from Laboratory Drug Testing Surveys, Arch Pathol Lab Med, July. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gaedigk A, et al. Characterization of reference materials for genetic testing of rare CYP2D6 alleles: a GeT-RM collaborative project. J Mol Diag. 2019 Nov;21(6):1034–52.
- Hoshitsuki K, Crews KR, Yang W, Smith CA, Hankins JS, Turner AJ, Broeckel U, McMillin GA, Relling MV, Haidar CE (2019) Genet Med, Jul 25.
- Gage BF, et al. Effect of low-intensity vs. standard-intensity warfarin prophylaxis on venous thromboembolism or death among patients undergoing hip or knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial. 2019 Sep 3;322(9):834–42.