Carlos A. Gomez, MD
Consulting Medical Director: Infectious Disease
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Transplant infectious diseases
- Endocarditis team
- COVID-19 clinical trials
- Medical Degree—Universidad Nacional de Colombia
- Residency—Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Fellowships—Immunocompromised Host Infectious Diseases, Clinical Microbiology, Infectious Disease, Stanford University
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Infectious Disease)
- American Board of Pathology (Medical Microbiology)
- Infections in patients with weakened immune systems relating to solid-organ transplantation, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, cancer, and drugs that suppress or modulate immune responses
- Multidisciplinary management of infectious endocarditis (endocarditis team)
- Molecular diagnostics applied to the immunocompromised host, especially fungal infections
- COVID-19 therapeutic clinical trials
- Best Teaching Faculty, Infectious Diseases Division, University of Utah (2018-2019)
- Best Teaching Faculty, Infectious Diseases Division, University of Utah (2019-2020)
Schumacher AC, et al. JJ (2020). Toxoplasmosis outbreak associated with toxoplasma gondii-contaminated venison-high attack rate, unusual clinical presentation, and atypical genotype. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;ciaa285.
Multani A, et al. Recent trends of infectious complications following heart transplantation. Transplantation. 2020;104(10):e284-e294.
Hogan CA, et al. Clinical impact of metagenomic next-generation sequencing of plasma cell-free DNA for the diagnosis of infectious diseases: a multicenter retrospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2020;ciaa035.
Young BA, et al. Molecular diagnostic advances in transplant infectious diseases. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2019;21(12):52.
Multani A, et al. Cut it out! Thoracic surgeon's approach to pulmonary mucormycosis and the role of surgical resection in survival. Mycoses. 2019;62(10):893-907.
Moayedi Y, et al. Outcomes of patients with infection related to a ventricular assist device after heart transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2019;33(10):e13692.
Multani A, et al. Eremothecium coryli bloodstream infection in a patient with acute myeloid leukemia: first case report of human infection. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019;95(1):77-79.
Moayedi Y, et al. Infectious complications after heart transplantation in patients screened with gene expression profiling. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2019;38(6):611-618.
Gomez CA, et al. Dual-target, real-time PCR for the diagnosis of intraocular Toxoplasma gondii infections. Br J Ophthalmol. 2019;103(4):569-572.
Pinto NC, et al. Parvovirus B19-induced severe anemia in heart transplant recipients: Case report and review of the literature. Clin Transplant. 2019;33(4):e13498.
Senchyna F, et al. Diversity of resistance mechanisms in carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae at a health care system in Northern California, from 2013 to 2016. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019;93(3): 250-257.
Gomez CA, et al. Evaluation of three point-of-care tests for detection of toxoplasma immunoglobulin IgG and IgM in the United States: proof of concept and challenges. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018;5(10):ofy215.