Tracy I. George, MD
Chief Medical Officer
Medical Director: Hematopathology
Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Flow Cytometry
- Medical Degree—University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- Residency—Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Hematopathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Surgical Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Hematology)
- Mast cell disease
- Translational hematopathology
- Laboratory hematology
- Lifetime Achievement Award, College of American Pathologists
- First Annual Dr. Steve Chen Hematopathology Lectureship, University of New Mexico
- Karner K, George TI, Patel JL. Current aspects of clonal hematopoiesis: implications for clinical diagnosis. Ann Lab Med. 2019 Nov;39(6):509–14.
- Gotlib J, et al. A phase 2 study of brentuximab bedotin in patients with CD30-positive advanced systemic mastocytosis. Blood Adv. 2019 Aug 13;3(15):2264–71.
- Corean JL, et al. Bone marrow findings in metastatic melanoma, including role of BRAF immunohistochemistry. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019 Aug;41(4):550–60
- Li P, et al. Revisiting diagnostic criteria for myelodysplatic/myeloproliferative neoplasms with ring sideroblasts and thrombocytosis: borderline cases without anemia exist. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019 Jun;41(3):345–52.
- Bahr TM, et al. The Neonatal Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy Registry (NABER): background, aims, and protocol. Neonatology. 2019;115(3):242–6.
- Christensen RD, et al. Acute neonatal bilirubin encephalopathy in the state of Utah 2009–2018. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2018 Sep;72:10–3.
- Jennings SV, et al. Patient perceptions in mast cell disorders. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2018 Aug;38(3):505–52.
- Bruegel M, et al. Multicenter evaluation of the cobas m 511 integrated hematology analyzer. Int J Lab Hematol. 2018 Dec;40(6):672–82.
- Margolskee E, et al. A reevaluation of erythroid predominance in Acute Myeloid Leukemia using the updated WHO 2016 criteria. Mod Pathol. 2018 Jun;31(6):873–80.
- Ustun C, et al. Core-binding factor acute myeloid leukemia with t(8; 21): risk factors and a novel scoring system (I-CBFit). Cancer Med. 2018 Sep;7(9),4447–55.
- Sumarriva Lezama L, et al. An analysis of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm with translocations involving the MYC locus identifies t(6;8)(p21;q24) as a recurrent cytogenetic abnormality. Histopathology. 2018 Nov;73(5):767–76.
- Hatch EW, et al. Variability of PD-L1 expression in mastocytosis. Blood Adv. 2018 Feb 13;2(3):189–99.
- DeAngelo DJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of midostaurin in patients with advanced systemic mastocytosis: 10-year median follow-up of a phase II trial. Leukemia. 2018 Feb;32(2):470–8.
- Goyal T, et al. T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia and coexisting B-cell lymphomas: a study from the bone marrow pathology group. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018 Jan 29;149(2):164–71.
- Valent P, et al. Midostaurin: a magic bullet that blocks mast cell expansion and activation. Ann Oncol. 2017 Oct 1;28(10):2367–76.
- Wang SA, et al. Bone marrow morphology is a strong discriminator between chronic eosinophilic leukemia, not otherwise specified and reactive idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Haematologica. 2017 Aug;102(8):1352–60.
- George TI, et al. Evaluation of testing of acute leukemia samples: survey result from the College of American Pathologists. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017 Aug;141(8):1101–6.
- Gars E, et al. A replicable CD271+ mesenchymal stromal cell density score: bringing the dysfunctional myelodysplastic syndrome niche to the diagnostic laboratory. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017 Jul;58(7):1730–2
- Rogers HJ, et al. Most myeloid neoplasms with deletion of chromosome 16q are distinct from acute myeloid leukemia with inv(16)(p13.1q22): a bone marrow pathology group multicenter study. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 Apr 1;147(4):411–9.
- Steensma DP, et al. Connect MDS/AML: design of the myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia disease registry, a prospective observational cohort study. BMC Cancer. 2016 Aug 19;16:652.
- Ren M, et al. Development of ZMYM2-FGFR1 driven AML in human CD34+ cells in immunocompromised mice. Int J Cancer. 2016 Aug 15;139(4):836–40.
- Ustun C, et al. Consensus opinion on allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in advanced systemic mastocytosis. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016 Aug;22(8):1348–56.
- Wang SA, et al. Targeted next-generation sequencing identifies a subset of idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome with features similar to chronic eosinophilic leukemia, not otherwise specified. Mod Pathol. 2016 Aug;29(8):854–64.
- Gotlib J, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Midostaurin in Advanced Systemic Mastocytosis. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 30;374(26):2530–41.
- Hayward CP, et al. Report on the International Society for Laboratory Hematology Survey on guidelines to support clinical hematology laboratory practice. Int J Lab Hematol. 2016 May;38(Suppl 1):133–8.
- Hayward CP, et al. Assembly and evaluation of an inventory of guidelines that are available to support clinical hematology laboratory practice. Int J Lab Hematol. 2015 May;37(Suppl 1):36–45.
- Mahmoud AZ, et al. Scoring of MYCprotein expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphomas: concordance rate among hematopathologists. Mod Pathol. 2015 Apr;28(4):545–51.
- Deucher AM, et al. BCL6 expression correlates with the t(1;19) translocation in B-lymphoblastic leukemia. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Apr;143(4):547–57.
- Chisholm KM, et al. Mast cells in systemic mastocytosis have distinctly brighter CD45 expression by flow cytometry. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 Apr;143(4):527–34.
- Hughes J, et al. Infusion pump-mediated mechanical hemolysis in pediatric patients. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 Spring;45(2):140–7.
- Bourner G, et al. ICSH guidelines for the verification and performance of automated cell counters for body fluids. Int J Lab Hematol. 2014 Dec;36(6):598–612.
- Hasserjian RP, et al. De novo acute myeloid leukemia with 20-29% blasts is less aggressive than acute myeloid leukemia with >/=30% blasts in older adults: a Bone Marrow Pathology Group study. Am J Hematol. 2014 Nov;89(11):E193–9.
- Ludwig LS, et al. Altered translation of GATA1 in Diamond-Blackfan anemia. Nat Med. 2014 Jul;20(7):748–53.
Dr. Tracy I. George is the executive director of clinical trials and Pharma DX as well as the medical director of hematopathology at ARUP Laboratories. She is also a professor of pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Dr. George graduated from the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine with her medical degree before completing a pathology and laboratory medicine residency at the same location. She continued to complete both a hematopathology and a surgical pathology fellowship at Stanford University School of Medicine. She is certified by the American Board of Pathology in hematology and anatomic and clinical pathology. Dr. George is the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the College of American Pathologists and the First Annual Dr. Steve Chen Hematopathology Lectureship at the University of New Mexico. Her research interests include mast cell disease, translational hematopathology, and laboratory hematology.