Skip to main content
Tracy I. George, MD
Chief Scientific Officer
President, Innovation Business Unit
Medical Director: Hematopathology
Professor (Clinical), University of Utah School of Medicine
- Laboratory hematology
- Medical Degree—University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- Residency—Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Hematopathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Fellowship—Surgical Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Chief Medical Officer, ARUP Laboratories
- Executive Director, Clinical Trials and PharmaDx, ARUP Laboratories
- Vice Chair of Clinical Affairs, University of New Mexico Department of Pathology
- Past President of the International Society for Laboratory Hematology
- Secretary/Treasurer of the American Initiative in Mast Cell Diseases (AIM)
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Hematology)
- Mast cell disease
- Translational hematopathology
- Laboratory hematology
- Healthcare Hero, Utah Business Magazine
- Lifetime Achievement Award, College of American Pathologists
- First Annual Dr. Steve Chen Hematopathology Lectureship, University of New Mexico
- Al-Ghamdi YA, et al. Triple-negative primary myelofibrosis: A Bone Marrow Pathology Group study. Mod Pathol. 2023;36(3):100016.
- Cantu MD, et al. Clinicopathologic and molecular analysis of normal karyotype therapy-related and de novo acute myeloid leukemia: A multi-institutional study by the Bone Marrow Pathology Group. JCO Precis Oncol. 2023;7:e2200400.
- Frater JL, et al. Arterial blood as an alternative specimen source for complete blood cell count: More human studies are needed. Int J Lab Hematol. 2023;45(3):e90–92.
- Konantz M, et al. Increased TIM-3 and GAL-9 serum levels in patients with advanced systemic mastocytosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2023;S0091-6749(23):00860–6.
- Kumar J, et al. Smoking status in acute myeloid leukemia is associated with worse overall survival and independent of prior nonhematopoietic malignancies, cytogenetic abnormalities, and WHO category. Hum Pathol. 2023;135:45–53.
- Leguit RJ, et al. The international consensus classification of mastocytosis and related entities. Virchows Arch. 2023;482(1):99–112.
- Ohgami RS, et al. An analysis of the pathologic features of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm based on a comprehensive literature database of cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2023;147(7):837–46.
- Patel JL, et al. Genomic data heterogeneity across molecular diagnostic laboratories: A real-world Connect Myeloid Disease Registry perspective on variabilities in genomic assay methodology and reporting. J Mol Diagn. 2023;25(8):611–18.
- Rami de Cap M, et al. Myeloid sarcoma with NPM1 mutation may be clinically and genetically distinct from AML with NPM1 mutation: a study from the Bone Marrow Pathology Group. Leuk Lymphoma. 2023;64(5):972–80.
- Shomali W, et al. Comprehensive response criteria for myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia and tyrosine kinase gene fusions: a proposal from the MLN International Working Group. Leukemia. 2023;37(5):981–87.
- Small C, et al. Profiling endogenous, environmental, and infectious disease mutational signatures in blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasms. Int J Lab Hematol. 2023;10.1111/ijlh.14108.
- Tomlinson B, et al. Transplantation referral patterns for patients with newly diagnosed higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia at academic and community sites in the Connect Myeloid Disease Registry: Potential barriers to care. Transplant Cell Ther. 2023;29(7):460.e1–e9.
- Valent P, et al. Proposed refined diagnostic criteria and classification of eosinophil disorders and related syndromes. Allergy. 2023;78(1):47–59.
- Bou Zerdan M, et al. Recent advances in the treatment and supportive care of POEMS syndrome. J Clin Med. 2022;11(23):7011.
- Carter-Febres M, et al. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis associated with T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Int J Lab Hematol. 2022;44(1):15–16.
- Genzen JR, et al. Integrity of SARS-CoV-2 laboratory-developed tests. JAMA. 2022;328(5):478.
- Gerds AT, et al. Myeloproliferative neoplasms, Version 3.2022, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2022;20(9):1033–62.
- Gotlib J, et al. Proposed European Competence Network on Mastocytosis-American Initiative in Mast Cell Disease (ECNM-AIM) response criteria in advanced systemic mastocytosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):2025–e1.
- Hoermann G, et al. Standards of genetic testing in the diagnosis and prognostication of systemic mastocytosis in 2022: Recommendations of the EU-US Cooperative Group. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):1953–63.
- Kanagal-Shamanna R, et al. Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative neoplasms-unclassifiable with isolated isochromosome 17q represents a distinct clinico-biologic subset: a multi-institutional collaborative study from the Bone Marrow Pathology Group. Mod Pathol. 2022;35(4):470–79.
- Pyatilova P, et al. Refined treatment response criteria for indolent systemic mastocytosis proposed by the ECNM-AIM consortium. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):2015–24.
- Simpson SJ, et al. 36-year-old male with X-linked congenital sideroblastic anemia presenting as chronic microcytic anemia with iron overload. Int J Lab Hematol 2022;44(1):69–71.
- Sotlar K, et al. Standards of pathology in the diagnosis of systemic mastocytosis: recommendations of the EU-US Cooperative Group. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):1986–e2.
- Valent P, et al. Global classification of mast cell activation disorders: An ICD-10-CM-adjusted proposal of the ECNM-AIM consortium. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):1941–50.
- Valent P, et al. Personalized management strategies in mast cell disorders: ECNM-AIM user’s guide for daily clinical practice. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2022;10(8):1999–36.
- DeAngelo DJ, et al. Safety and efficacy of avapritinib in advanced systemic mastocytosis: the phase 1 EXPLORER trial. Nat Med. 2021;27(12):2183–91.
- Carter Febres M, et al. Drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS)-associated hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), an important and underrecognized HLH mimic: A case report. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2021;68(2):e28657.
- George TI, et al. Diagnosis of rare subtypes of acute myeloid leukaemia and related neoplasms. Pathology. 2021;53(3):312–27.
- Gotlib J, et al. Efficacy and safety of avapritinib in advanced systemic mastocytosis: interim analysis of the phase 2 PATHFINDER trial. Nat Med. 2021;27(12):2192–99.
- Gotlib J, et al. Proceedings from the inaugural American Initiative in Mast Cell Diesease (AIM) Investigator Conference. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021;147(6):2043–52.
- Han SY, et al. Secondary cytogenetic abnormalities in core-binding factor AML harboring inv(16) vs t(8;21). Blood Adv. 2021;5(10):2481–89.
- Kelemen K, et al. Eosinophilia/hypereosinophilia in the setting of reactive and idiopathic causes, well-defined myeloid or lymphoid leukemias, or germline disorders. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;155(2):179–210.
- King RL, et al. Reactive eosinophil proliferations in tissue and the lymphocytic variant of hypereosinophilic syndrome. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;155(2):211–38.
- Lozano-Chinga M, et al. Bone marrow necrosis in pediatric malignancies: 10-year retrospective review and review of literature. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2021;68(3):e28806.
- Ok CY, et al. Chronic myeloid neoplasms harboring concomitant mutations in myeloproliferative neoplasm driver genes (JAK2/ MPL/ CALR) and SF3B1. Mod Pathol. 2021;34(1):20–31.
- Ozturk K, et al. Non-hematologic diagnosis of systemic mastocytosis: Collaboration of radiology and pathology. Blood Rev. 2021;45:100693.
- Patel JL, et al. Real-world diagnostic testing patterns for assessment of ring sideroblasts and SF3B1 mutations in patients with newly diagnosed lower-risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Int J Lab Hematol. 2021;43(3):426–32.
- Pozdnyakova O, et al. Myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms associated with eosinophilia and rearrangements of PDGFRA, PDGFRB, or FGFR1 or with PCM1-JAK2. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;155(2):160–78.
- Rimsza L, et al. Addressing the challenges of eosinophilia and mastocytosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;155(2):156–59.
- Tzankov A, et al. Mastocytosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2021;155(2):239–66.
- Ustun C, et al. Core-binding factor acute myeloid leukemia with inv(16): Older age and high white blood cell count are risk factors for treatment failure. Int J Lab Hematol. 2021;43(1):e19–e25.
- Weinberg OK, et al. Clinical, immunophenotypic and genomic findings of NK lymphoblastic leukemia: a study from the Bone Marrow Pathology Group. Mod Pathol. 2021;34(7):1358–66.
- Foucar K, et al. Concordance among hematopathologists in classifying blasts plus promonocytes: A bone marrow pathology group study. Int J Lab Hematol. 2020;42(4):418–22.
- George TI. Evolution of the International Journal of Laboratory Hematology. Int J Lab Hematol. 2020;42(Suppl 1):6–7.
- Gerds AT, et al. Myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia and TK fusion genes, Version 3.2021, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2020;18(9);1248–69.
- Hartmann K, et al. Midostaurin improves quality of life and mediator-related symptoms in advanced systemic mastocytosis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020;146(2):356–66.e4.
- Hayward CPM, et al. Patient advocacy and its importance to laboratory medicine practice. Int J Lab Hematol. 2020;42(Suppl 1):21–2.
- Pollyea DA, et al. Diagnostic and molecular testing patterns in patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia in the Connect® MDS/ AML Disease Registry. EJHaem. 2020;1(1):58–68.
- Reiter A, et al. New developments in diagnosis, prognostication, and treatment of advanced systemic mastocytosis. Blood. 2020;135(16):1365–76.
- Utz JL, et al. "Soccer-ball" lymphocytosis. J Am Osteopath Assoc, 2020;120(4):286.
- Valent P, et al. Mast cells as a unique hematopoietic lineage and cell system: From Paul Ehrlich's visions to precision medicine concepts. Theranostics. 2020;10(23):10743–68.
- Bahr TM, et al. The Neonatal Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy Registry (NABER): background, aims, and protocol. Neonatology. 2019;115(3):242–46.
- Corean JL,et al. Bone marrow findings in metastatic melanoma, including role of BRAF immunohistochemistry. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019;41(4):550–60.
- Gotlib J, et al. A phase 2 study of brentuximab vedotin in patients with CD30-positive advanced systemic mastocytosis.Blood Adv. 2019;3(15):2264–71.
- Hoffmann JC, et al. Rosai-Dorfman disease of the breast with variable IgG4+ plasma cells: a diagnostic mimicker of other malignant and reactive entities. Am J Surg Pathol. 2019;43(12), 1653–60.
- Karner K,et al. Current aspects of clonal hematopoiesis: implications for clinical diagnosis. Ann Lab Med. 2019;39(6):509–14.
- Li P, et al. Revisiting diagnostic criteria for myelodysplatic/myeloproliferative neoplasms with ring sideroblasts and thrombocytosis: borderline cases without anemia exist. Int J Lab Hematol. 2019;41(3):345–52.
- Bruegel M, et al. Multicenter evaluation of the cobas m 511 integrated hematology analyzer. Int J Lab Hematol. 2018;40(6):672–82.
- Christensen RD, et al. Acute neonatal bilirubin encephalopathy in the state of Utah 2009-2018. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2018;72:10–13.
- DeAngelo DJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of midostaurin in patients with advanced systemic mastocytosis: 10-year median follow-up of a phase II trial. Leukemia. 2018;32(2):470–78.
- Goyal T, et al. T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia and coexisting B-cell lymphomas: a study from the bone marrow pathology group. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018;149(2):164–71.
- Hatch EW, et al. Variability of PD-L1 expression in mastocytosis. Blood Adv. 2018;2(3):189–99.
- Jennings SV, et al. Patient perceptions in mast cell disorders. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2018;38(3):505–25.
- Margolskee E, et al. A reevaluation of erythroid predominance in acute myeloid leukemia using the updated WHO 2016 criteria. Mod Pathol. 2018;31(6):873–80.
- Sumarriva Lezama L, et al. An analysis of blastic plasmacytoid dendritic cell neoplasm with translocations involving the MYC locus identifies t(6;8)(p21;q24) as a recurrent cytogenetic abnormality. Histopathology. 2018;73(5):767–76.
- Ustun C, et al. Core-binding factor acute myeloid leukemia with t(8; 21): risk factors and a novel scoring system (I-CBFit). Cancer Med. 2018;7(9):4447–55.
- Gars E, et al. A replicable CD271+ mesenchymal stromal cell density score: bringing the dysfunctional myelodysplastic syndrome niche to the diagnostic laboratory. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017;58(7):1730–32.
- George TI, et al. Evaluation of testing of acute leukemia samples: survey result from the College of American Pathologists. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017;141(8):1101–06.
- Rogers HJ, et al. Most myeloid neoplasms with deletion of chromosome 16q are distinct from acute myeloid leukemia with inv(16)(p13.1q22): A Bone Marrow Pathology Group multicenter study. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147(4):411–19.
- Valent P, et al. Midostaurin: a magic bullet that blocks mast cell expansion and activation. Ann Oncol. 2017;28(10):2367–76.
- Wang SA, et al. Bone marrow morphology is a strong discriminator between chronic eosinophilic leukemia, not otherwise specified and reactive idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Haematologica. 2017;102(8):1352–60.