Skip to main content
Salika M. Shakir, PhD, D(ABMM)
Medical Director, Microbial Amplified Detection, AFB
Assistant Professor (Clinical), University of Utah School of Medicine
- Doctorate Degree—Microbiology and Immunology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Research Fellowship—Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Fellowship—Medical and Public Health Microbiology, University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories
- Adjunct Professor (Clinical), Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Research and Development Scientist and Study Coordinator, ARUP Laboratories
- American Board of Medical Microbiology
- Implementation of novel molecular assays for pathogen detection in clinical laboratories
- Molecular testing for sexually transmitted infections
- Mycobacteriology diagnostics and susceptibility testing
- Clinical research for diagnostic assays and devices in process for FDA approval
- Kukull B, Shakir SM, Hanson KE. Performance of non-nasopharyngeal sample types for molecular detection of SARS-CoV-2. Clin Lab Med. 2022;42(2):249-259.
- Shakir SM, et al. Multicenter evaluation of a gradient diffusion method for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Helicobacter pylori. Microbiol Spectr. 2022;10(2):e0211121.
- Shakir SM, et al. Clinical laboratory perspective on Streptococcus halichoeri, an unusual nonhemolytic, Lancefield Group B Streptococcus causing human infections. Emerg Infect Dis. 2021;27(5):1309-1316.
- Liu BM, et al. The brief case: Capnocytophaga sputigena bacteremia in a 94-year-old male with type 2 diabetes mellitus, pancytopenia, and bronchopneumonia. J Clin Microbiol. 2021;59(7):e0247220.
- Shakir SM, et al. Combined self-collected anterior nasal and oropharyngeal specimens versus provider-collected nasopharyngeal swabs for the detection of SARS-CoV-2. J Clin Microbiol. 2020;59(1):e02291-20.
- Hanson KE, et al. Self-collected anterior nasal and saliva specimens versus health care worker-collected nasopharyngeal swabs for the molecular detection of SARS-CoV-2. J Clin Microbiol. 2020;58(11):e01824-20.
- Shakir SM, et al. Evaluation of a novel high-definition PCR multiplex assay for simultaneous detection of tick-borne pathogens in human clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2020;58(3):e01655-19.