Kimberly E. Hanson, MD, MHS
Section Chief: Clinical Microbiology
Medical Director: Mycology
Head: Immunocompromised Host Infectious Diseases Services, University Hospital and
Huntsman Cancer Center
Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Master’s Degree—Health Sciences, Duke University Medical Center
- Medical Degree—Northwestern University Medical Center
- Residency—Internal Medicine, Chief Resident, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
- Fellowship—Infectious Diseases, Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship—Medical Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center
- American Board of Pathology (Medical Microbiology)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Infectious Disease)
- Development and validation of novel cost-effective diagnostic tests for infectious diseases
- Transplant related infectious diseases and clinical diagnostics
- Outstanding Fellow Research, 43rd Annual Meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society of
- Infectious Diseases Fellowship, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2004
- Honors Graduate, Northwestern University, 1994
- Walker BS, et al. Cost-effectiveness of antifungal prophylaxis, preemptive therapy, or empiric treatment following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Transpl Infect Dis. 2019 Oct;21(5):e13148.
- Sundermann AJ, et al. How clean is the linen at my hospital? the mucorales on unclean linen discovery study of large united states transplant and cancer centers. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Feb 15;68(5):850–3.
- White SK, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of beta-d-glucan (fungitell) testing among patients with hematologic malignancies or solid organ tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2019 Feb 4;151(3):275–85.
- Schwartz IS, et al. Blastomyces helicus, a new dimorphic fungus causing fatal pulmonary and systemic disease in humans and animals in Western Canada and the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Jan 7;68(2):188–95.
- Benefield RJ, et al. Comparison of the drug-drug interaction potential of daptomycin in combination with rifampin in healthy adult volunteers. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Nov 26:62(12).
- Yarbrough ML, et al. Influence of molecular testing on influenza diagnosis. 2018 Nov;64(11):1560–6.
- Buss BA, et al. Impact of a multiplex PCR assay for bloodstream infections with and without antimicrobial stewardship intervention at a cancer hospital. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 10;5(10):ofy258.
- Body BA, et al. Evaluation of the Vitek MS v3.0 matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry system for identification of Mycobacterium and Nocardia species. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 May 25;56(6).
- Rychert J, et al. Multicenter Evaluation of the Vitek MS v3.0 System for the Identification of Filamentous Fungi. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 Jan 24;56(2).
- Spivak ES, Hanson KE. Candida auris: an emerging fungal pathogen. J Clin Microbiol. 2018 Jan 24;56(2).