Skip to main content
Robert Schmidt, MD, PhD, MBA
Director: Center for Effective Medical Testing
Director: Quality Optimization
Medical Director: Huntsman Cancer Hospital Clinical Laboratory
Professor, University of Utah School of Medicine
- Master’s Degree—Biochemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Master’s Degree—Molecular Genetics, University of Chicago
- Master’s Degree–Business Administration, University of Chicago
- Master’s Degree—Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota
- Master’s Degree—Clinical Epidemiology, University of Sydney
- Graduate Certificate—Biostatistics, University of Sydney
- Graduate Diploma, Pharmaceutical Medicine, University of New South Wales
- Doctorate Degree—Operations Management, University of Virginia
- Medical Degree—University of Sydney
- Residency—Clinical Pathology, University of Utah
- American Board of Pathology (Clinical Pathology, Clinical Informatics)
- Economic Evaluation of Diagnostic Tests
- Operations Analysis
- Walker BS, et al. An analysis of multirules for monitoring assay quality control. Lab Med. 2020;51(1):94–8.
- Kim K, et al. Cost effectiveness of therapeutic drug monitoring for imatinib administration in chronic myeloid leukemia. PLoS ONE. 2019;14(12):e0226552.
- Johnson LM, et al. Bad tests die slowly: the myelin basic protein example. J Appl Lab Med. 2020;5(1):136–41.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Pathology assessment of femoral head resection specimens: an important quality assurance procedure. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2020;144(5):580–5.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Cytomorphological criteria for separation of pulmonary adenocarcinomas from squamous cell carcinomas: A statistical learning approach. Cytopathology. 2019;30(6):601–6.
- Heikal N, et al. Laboratory evaluation of antiphospholipid syndrome. Am J Clin Pathol. 2019;152(5):638–46.
- Walker BS, et al. Cost-effectiveness of antifungal prophylaxis, preemptive therapy, or empiric treatment following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Transpl Infect Dis. 2019;21(5):e13148.
- Layfield LJ, et al. The Milan system for reporting salivary gland cytopathology: a study of inter-observer reproducibility. Diagn Cytopathol. 2019;47(8):765–8.
- Pearson LN, et al. Adoption of evidence-based medicine in clinical laboratory science: a survey of the prevalence of systematic and narrative reviews. Lab Med. 2019;50(3):223–8.
- Metcalf RA, et al. The association of inpatient blood utilization and diagnosis-related group weight: implications for risk-adjusted benchmarking. Transfusion. 2019;59(7):2316–23.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Cell block cellularity: a comparison of two fixatives and their impact on cellularity. Diagn Cytopathol. 2019;47(5):417–20.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Molecular testing strategies for pulmonary adenocarcinoma: an optimal approach with cost analysis. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019;143(5):628–33.
- Greene DN, et al. Hematology reference intervals for transgender adults on stable hormone therapy. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;492:84–90.
- Mohlman JS, et al. Reliability and validity of proposed risk stratification methods for laboratory developed tests. Lab Med. 2019;50(2):194–201.
- Lehman CM, et al. A reflex protocol for creatinine testing reduces costs and maintains patient safety. Lab Med, 2019;50(2), 202–7.
- Gledhill TR, et al. A profile of point of care coordinators: roles, responsibilities and attitudes. Lab Med. 2019;50(3):e50–e55.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Estimating the cost of quality of errors in the analytical phase. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;495:60–6.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Is your assay stable? Using process stability and capability to evaluate assay performance. Clin Chim Acta. 2019;490:28–33.
- White SK, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of β-d-glucan (fungitell) testing among patients with hematologic malignancies or solid organ tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2019;151(3), 275–85.
- Khan J, et al. Venous thrombotic risk in transgender women undergoing estrogen therapy: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Clin Chem. 2019;65(1):57–66.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Quality control limits: Are we setting them too wide? Clin Chim Acta. 2018;486:329–34.
- Pearson LN, et al. Cost-effectiveness of rapid on-site evaluation of the adequacy of FNA cytology samples performed by nonpathologists. Cancer Cytopathol. 2018;126(10):839–45.
- Martins TB, et al. Assessment of diagnostic methods for the detection of anticardiolipin and anti-βeta2 glycoprotein I antibodies in patients under routine evaluation for antiphospholipid syndrome. Clin Chim Acta. 2018;485:7–13.
- Layfield LJ, et al. The Papanicolaou Society of Cytopathology guidelines for respiratory cytology: Reproducibility of categories among observers. CytoJournal. 2018;15:22.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Does reverse triiodothyronine testing have clinical utility? an analysis of practice variation based on order data from a national reference laboratory. Thyroid. 2018;28(7):842–48.
- Layfield EM, et al. Frozen section evaluation of margin status in primary squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck: a correlation study of frozen section and final diagnoses. Head Neck Pathol. 2018;12(2):175–80.
- Hueth KD, et al. An audit of repeat testing at an academic medical center: consistency of order patterns with recommendations and potential cost savings. Am J Clin Pathol. 2018;150(1):27–33.
- Pearson L, et al. Rapid on-site evaluation of fine-needle aspiration by non-cytopathologists: a systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy studies for adequacy assessment. Acta Cytol. 2018;62(4):244–52.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration cytology for discrimination of squamous cell carcinoma from adenocarcinoma in non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Cytol. 2018;62(5–6):318–26.
- Schmidt RL, et al. Impact of laboratory charge display within the electronic health record across an entire academic medical center: results of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;148(6):513–22.
- Wylie JD, et al. Findings associated with knee pathology on MRI in patients without osteoarthritis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017;25(11):780–6.
- Caron JE, et al. A survey of the prevalence and impact of reporting guideline endorsement in pathology journals. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;148(4):314–22.
- Long T, et al. Interobserver reproducibility of The Paris System for Reporting Urinary Cytology. CytoJournal. 2017;14:17.
- Lin DC, et al. Multi-center benchmark study reveals significant variation in thyroid testing in United States. Thyroid. 2017;27(10).
- Rudolf J, et al. Organizational benchmarks for test utilization performance: an example based on positivity rates for genetic tests. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147(4):382–9.
- Layfield LJ, et al. Impact of the reclassification of the non-invasive follicular variant of papillary carcinoma as benign on the malignancy risk of the Bethesda System for Reporting Thyroid Cytopathology: a meta-analysis study. Acta Cytol. 2017;61(3):187–93.