Skip to main content
Robert Schlaberg, MD, Dr Med, MPH
Medical Director: Infectious Disease
- Next generation sequencing (NGS) for unbiased pathogen detection and host response-based diagnostics
- Master’s Degree—Public Health, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Medical Degree—University of Würzburg
- Dr.med—University of Würzburg
- Residency—Clinical Pathology, Chief Resident, Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University
- Fellowship—Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University
- Fellowship—Medical Microbiology, University of Utah and ARUP Laboratories
- American Board of Pathology (Clinical Pathology, Medical Microbiology)
- Diagnostic use of NGS in clinical microbiology
- Vice President Clinical and Translational (VPCAT) Research Scholar, 2014-2016
- Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCTS), Primary Children's Hospital
Foundation (PCHF) career Development Award (KL2), 2014
- Primary Children's Hospital Foundation Early Career Development Research Award, 2013
- University of Utah Pathology Fellow Research Presentation 1st Prize, 2010
- Paul Strandjord Young Investigator Award, ACLPS, 2008
- Paul Strandjord Young Investigator Award, ACLPS. 2007
- Ramchandar N, et al. Metagenomic next-generation sequencing for pathogen detection and transcriptomic analysis in pediatric central nervous system infections. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021;8(6):ofab104.
- Gatcliffe C, et al. Metagenomic sequencing and evaluation of the host response in the pediatric aerodigestive population. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2021;56(2):516–524.
- Azar MM, et al. Added diagnostic utility of clinical metagenomics for the diagnosis of pneumonia in immunocompromised adults. Chest. 2021;159(4):1356–1371.
- Martin RM, et al. Contact transmission of vaccinia to an infant diagnosed by viral culture and metagenomic sequencing. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020;7(4):ofaa111.
- Schlaberg R. Microbiome diagnostics. Clin Chem. 2020;66(1):68–76.
- Schlaberg R, et al. Human bocavirus capsid messenger RNA detection in children with pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2017;216(6):688–96.
- Schlaberg R, et al. Validation of metagenomic next-generation sequencing tests for universal pathogen detection. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017;141(6):776–86.
- Tardif KD, Schlaberg R. Development of a real-time PCR assay for the direct detection of Candida species causing Vulvovaginal candidiasis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017;88(1):39–40.
- Schlaberg R, et al. Viral pathogen detection by metagenomics and pan-viral group polymerase chain reaction in children with pneumonia lacking identifiable etiology. J Infect Dis. 2017;215(9):1407–15.
- Pyne MT, et al. Sequencing of the hepatitis D virus RNA WHO international standard. J Clin Virol. 2017;90:52–6.
- Schlaberg R, et al. Viral pathogen detection by metagenomics and pan viral group PCR in Children with pneumonia lacking identifiable etiology. J Infect Dis. 2017;215(9):1407–15.
- Górska A, et al. Dynamics of the human gut phageome during antibiotics treatment. Comput Biol Chem. 2018;74:420–7.
- Swaminathan S, et al. Fatal Zika virus infection with secondary nonsexual transmission. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(19):1907–9.