||Order this test to diagnose H. pylori infection.
#ExistPATIENTPREP>Patient Prep: The patient should fast and abstain from smoking for 1 hour prior to test administration. The patient should not have taken antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors (e.g., Prilosec®, Prevacid®, Aciphex®, Nexium®), or bismuth preparations (e.g., Pepto-Bismol®) within the previous 14 days. When used to monitor treatment, the test should be performed four weeks after cessation of definitive therapy. The patient should be informed that the Pranactin®-Citric drink that will be administered contains phenylalanine. Phenylketonurics restrict dietary phenylalanine.
#ExistCollect>Collect: BreathTek UBiT® Kit. (ARUP Supply #33396 ) Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. Kits are provided at a cost of $50 each.
#ExistSPECIMENPREPARATION>Specimen Preparation: 1) Label breath collection bags with patient name, MRN, date and time of collection, and designate Pre (blue) or Post (pink).
2) Collect the baseline breath specimen:
-Remove cap from collection bag (blue).
-Have patient take a deep breath, pause momentarily then exhale into the mouthpiece of the bag filling it completely.
-Replace cap on the bag.
3) Prepare Pranactin®-Citric solution:
-Empty packet from test kit into the cup provided.
-Add drinking water up to the fill line (raised ridge).
-Replace lid; swirl for up to two minutes until completely dissolved. Solution should be clear. The solution is stable up to 60 minutes at room temperature.
4) Instruct patient to drink the solution without stopping using the straw provided. Advise the patient not to "rinse" the mouth with the solution before swallowing.
5) Set timer for 15 minutes. Start timer as soon as the patient has completed drinking. Patient should sit quietly without eating, drinking, or smoking.
6) Prepare the post specimen collection (pink) bag. At exactly 15 minutes, have the patient take a deep breath, pause momentarily and then exhale to fill the second sample collection bag (pink). Note: for a valid result, the post specimen must be collected within 13 to 18 minutes after administration of the Pranactin®-Citric Solution.
Do not freeze.
#ExistSPECTRANSPORT>Storage/Transport Temperature: CRITICAL ROOM TEMPERATURE.
#ExistConditions>Unacceptable Conditions: Bags not fully inflated or only one of the two bags submitted. Breath collected in tubes. Pediatric specimens from persons 17 years or younger.
#ExistStability>Stability (collection to initiation of testing): Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable