ARUP and Weber State University Online CLS Education
Laboratory Personnel Education Collaboration
Laboratory Professional Shortages
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 12,400 medical laboratory employees will be needed nationwide between 2002 and 2010 to staff the nation’s clinical laboratories. However, less than half of the lab personnel needed are graduating and available to fill these positions. These shortages are becoming more critical within community health systems that are growing their outreach programs.
Online CLS Program
To help meet this crucial need for trained medical laboratory personnel, ARUP Laboratories and Weber State University are partnering to provide ARUP client institutions with access to Web-based education in the field of medical technology, without taking employees from their work sites. This unique online distance-learning program offers students the convenience of accessing the courses online anytime. Completion of laboratory competencies for each course will occur after work in the employer facilities with approval and support of employers. Students who participate in the online program will utilize the resources of respective work facilities to successfully complete required laboratory competencies rather than traveling to off-site classes.
How to Apply
As part of the Weber State–ARUP Laboratories collaboration, employees of ARUP client institutions will receive an application-fee waiver, which waves the fee to apply to the online Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) program at Weber State University. Weber State is offering both Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) bachelor’s degree and Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT) associate’s degree online.
For more information or to apply to an online CLS program, please visit the WSU Clinical Laboratory Sciences site, which features complete program details, application requirements, and a "dear employer" letter explaining the online CLS program that you can submit to your employer.
Please note: You must be accepted to Weber State University before applying to the CLS program.
The Dr. Ezekiel R. Dumke College of Health Professions at WSU, based in Ogden, Utah, is recognized as a groundbreaking academic program and was the first university to offer a complete Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) bachelor’s degree and Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT) associate’s degree online. The program includes the study and performance of laboratory tests vital to the detection, differential diagnosis, treatment, and study of diseases.
- Registration deadlines for WSU online programs are September 1 for the spring semester and February 1 for the summer/fall semester.
- A WSU application fee will apply to all applicants. However, the Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences will waive the distance-learning program application fee for ARUP client institution applicants.
- Applicants must include an ARUP distance-learning application fee waiver as part of their CLS Department application package. Apply now.
- Applicants must meet WSU’s and the CLS Department’s acceptance criteria and will be ranked and selected in the same manner as other applicants.
- WSU’s CLS on-campus and online programs are accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Graduates are eligible to sit for the registry exam(s) AAS CLT degree and again after completing graduation with their BS CLS degree.
Please visit the WSU Clinical Laboratory Sciences site for complete program details and application requirements.
About Dr. Ezekiel R. Dumke College of Health Professions at Weber State
As a CLS student at Weber State University, you’ll be part of a well- recognized, groundbreaking academic program:
- WSU CLS students have a 95 percent or better pass rate for both CLT/MLT (medical laboratory technician) and CLS/MT (medical technologist) on all national certification examinations.
- WSU has 100 percent career placement of clinical laboratory sciences and clinical laboratory technician students/graduates.
- WSU was the first university in the world to offer a complete CLS bachelor’s degree and CLT associate’s degree online.
- As an out-of-state online student, you will not pay "traditional" non-resident tuition prices. Online tuition is based on a flat per-credit-hour fee and is comparable to resident in-state tuition.
- Online student outcomes (registry scores) are equivalent to traditional campus students.
In the News
- Press Release: "ARUP Laboratories and Weber State University Team up to Provide Laboratory Education Solutions." January 8, 2009.
- Lab Soft News. "ARUP Labs Responds to the Lab Personnel Shortage." September 12, 2008.
- The Dark Report. "MT/MLT Distance Learning Goal of Collaboration : ARUP and Weber State Team Up to Make It Easier for Interested Lab Staff to Advance Skills." August 18, 2008.
- Press Release: "ARUP Laboratories and Weber State University Announce Educational Collaboration." July 30, 2008.