SALT LAKE CITY, June 19, 2009—The University of Utah’s ARUP Laboratories, a national medical reference laboratory, proudly celebrates its 25th anniversary June 15–19, 2009 by sharing a list of 25 things you may or may not know about one of Utah’s largest and most unique employers.
1. ARUP was created in 1984 by a group of pathologists at the University of Utah School of Medicine’s Department of Pathology.
2. The company began in 1984 with only 100 employees. It recently surpassed 2,600 employees!
3. In 1984, a day was considered productive if 400 samples were processed. Today, ARUP performs more than 2,000 laboratory tests and test combinations and processes approximately 35,000 samples a day!
4. ARUP provides the University of Utah Hospital with one of the most sophisticated laboratory services in the nation.
5. ARUP has a free, on-site health clinic available to employees and their families.
6. ARUP is Delta Air Lines’ largest shipper into Salt Lake City.
7. It is the 14th largest private employer in Utah.
8. ARUP’s CEO and chairman of the board, Carl Kjeldsberg, MD, is so concerned with his employees’ health and work/life balance that he:
About ARUP Laboratories
ARUP Laboratories is a national clinical and anatomic pathology reference laboratory and an enterprise of the University of Utah and its Department of Pathology. With more than 2,600 employees, ARUP offers in excess of 2,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine screening tests to highly esoteric molecular and genetic assays, for patients throughout the country. Rather than competing with its clients for physician office business, ARUP chooses instead to support clients' existing test menus by offering highly complex and unique tests, with accompanying consultative support, to enhance their abilities to provide local and regional laboratory services. ARUP’s clients include more than half of the nation's university teaching hospitals and children's hospitals, as well as multihospital groups, major commercial laboratories, group purchasing organizations, military and government facilities, and major clinics. In addition, ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development, led by the efforts of the ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology®.
# # #
ARUP Contact Information:
Ronald L. Weiss, MD, MBA
Click on photo for
ARUP's main facility on Chipeta Way
From left to right: Dr. Carl Kjeldsberg, CEO and chairman of the board, ARUP Laboratories;
Dr. John Matsen, first president of ARUP; Dr. Peter Jensen, chairman, Department of Pathology, University of Utah; Dr. Ronald Weiss, president and COO, ARUP Laboratories; and Dr. Edward Ashwood, director of laboratories, ARUP Laboratories.
Dr. Carl Kjeldsberg, ARUP's CEO and chairman of the board,
in dunk tank
Dr. Ronald Weiss, ARUP's president and COO, speaking during the 25th-anniversary kickoff celebration
ARUP employees getting ready for 5k run during anniversary week