ARUP LABORATORIES CELEBRATES 25 YEARS OF SERVICE:
25 Things You May Not Know About This Significant Company
SALT LAKE CITY, June 19, 2009—The University of Utah’s ARUP Laboratories, a national medical reference laboratory, proudly celebrates its 25th anniversary June 15–19, 2009 by sharing a list of 25 things you may or may not know about one of Utah’s largest and most unique employers.
1. ARUP was created in 1984 by a group of pathologists at the University of Utah School of Medicine’s Department of Pathology.
2. The company began in 1984 with only 100 employees. It recently surpassed 2,600 employees!
3. In 1984, a day was considered productive if 400 samples were processed. Today, ARUP performs more than 2,000 laboratory tests and test combinations and processes approximately 35,000 samples a day!
4. ARUP provides the University of Utah Hospital with one of the most sophisticated laboratory services in the nation.
5. ARUP has a free, on-site health clinic available to employees and their families.
6. ARUP is Delta Air Lines’ largest shipper into Salt Lake City.
7. It is the 14th largest private employer in Utah.
8. ARUP’s CEO and chairman of the board, Carl Kjeldsberg, MD, is so concerned with his employees’ health and work/life balance that he:
- Established an on-site fitness center with three full-time instructors,
- Takes his employees for a walk at lunchtime every Thursday,
- Strongly encourages his employees to take the stairs rather than the elevators, and
- Insists that the vending machines in the buildings be stocked with only low-fat, healthy-option snack choices.
9. The organization serves 3,000 hospitals and their patients in all 50 United States, including more than half of the nation’s university teaching hospitals and children’s hospitals.
10. Renowned for its healthy and balanced work/life environment
, ARUP served employees portobello mushroom burgers, carrots, yogurt, apples, grapes, watermelon, and snow cones at the company’s 25th-anniversary opening ceremony.
11. As part of the 25th-anniversary celebrations, employees also participated in a 5K walk/run, a rock-band contest, talent show, and photo contest. The week will conclude on Friday, June 19, with a party for all 2,600 employees and their families!
12. ARUP Blood Services
is the sole blood provider to patients at the University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics, Huntsman Cancer Institute, Primary Children's Medical Center, and Shriners Hospital for Children. Of the 48 hospitals using blood in Utah, these four hospitals require approximately 25 percent of all the blood transfused in this state.
13. Blood donated to ARUP stays right here in Utah to help those in our own community.
14. ARUP Blood Services provides blood to the only children’s hospitals in Utah. Blood for most babies must be less than five days old.
15. It takes 100 blood donors every day to fill the needs of the patients ARUP serves.
16. ARUP has its own on-site daycare center.
17. ARUP Consult®
, The Physician’s Guide to Laboratory Test Selection and Interpretation, was recognized as a 2008 Laureate by the Computerworld Honors Program.
18. Employees and their dependents enjoy a generous tuition reimbursement plan.
19. ARUP was twice listed on FORTUNE
magazine’s list of Best Places to Work
(2003 and 2004). (As a government entity, ARUP is no longer eligible to receive this award.)
20. Although ARUP is owned by the University of Utah, there is fierce competition in the company among U of U and BYU fans during college football season!
21. Laboratory experts travel from around the globe to see ARUP’s state-of-the-art automation
, including 1,100 linear feet of track capable of processing 8,000 specimens per hour; the world’s only two thawing/mixing work cells with a capacity of 1,000 specimens an hour per cell; and, with a storage capacity of 2.3 million samples, the world’s largest clinical freezer.
22. ARUP’s Institute for Clinical & Experimental Pathology®
provides clients and physicians with cutting-edge laboratory research and development, an average of more than 30 new assays each year, and has collectively published more than 700 original peer-reviewed research publications
in leading journals.
23. ARUP's Institute for Learning (IFL)
partners with the University's Department of Pathology to offer credits for a broad range of continuing education opportunities, including academic fellowships. More than 20 medical residents and fellows are trained at ARUP every year.
24. CEO Carl Kjeldsberg, MD, voluntarily sat in a dunk tank for employees to take aim during the 25th-anniversary festivities!
25. ARUP is one of the best places to work in Utah and in the nation! Come join the fun at one of the nation’s premier laboratories. Visit our Careers section
for more information.
About ARUP Laboratories
ARUP Laboratories is a national clinical and anatomic pathology reference laboratory and an enterprise of the University of Utah and its Department of Pathology. With more than 2,600 employees, ARUP offers in excess of 2,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine screening tests to highly esoteric molecular and genetic assays, for patients throughout the country. Rather than competing with its clients for physician office business, ARUP chooses instead to support clients' existing test menus by offering highly complex and unique tests, with accompanying consultative support, to enhance their abilities to provide local and regional laboratory services. ARUP’s clients include more than half of the nation's university teaching hospitals and children's hospitals, as well as multihospital groups, major commercial laboratories, group purchasing organizations, military and government facilities, and major clinics. In addition, ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development, led by the efforts of the ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology®.
ARUP Contact Information:
Ronald L. Weiss, MD, MBA
President and Chief Operating Officer