ARUP Laboratories’ Recycling Efforts Rewarded
Recycling Coalition of Utah Awards Business Recycler of the Year
SALT LAKE CITY, June 20, 2008—ARUP Laboratories, a national medical reference laboratory and a leader in innovative laboratory research and development, received the Recycling Coalition of Utah’s (RCU) Business Recycler of the Year award. The coalition’s board unanimously selected ARUP to receive this award due to the company’s outstanding efforts in recycling and sustainability, and its continuing stewardship of the earth.
“We congratulate all of the employees and management on their remarkable achievement,” said Brad Mertz, RCU’s director. “ARUP is a great example of walking the talk when it comes to recycling and smart environmental practices. ARUP sets goals and each year makes an effort to follow through on their commitment to the environment. From recycling to xeriscaping to pushing mass transit for their employees, ARUP is a great example of what businesses in Utah can do to make a difference environmentally while making a significant difference to their bottom line.”
ARUP began its recycling program five years ago in an effort to be more environmentally conscious. Beginning with a philosophy based on the three elements of the environmental triangle (i.e., recycle, reuse, and reduce), the company developed a robust plan, initiated employee education, and began implementing its ambitious vision. In a few short years, ARUP has realized amazing results. Among them:
- Co-mingled (paper, plastic)—288,000 lbs. per year and cardboard–100,000 lbs. per year.
- Shredded paper—219,000 lbs. per year.
- Metal—70,000 lbs. per year.
- Electronic waste—24,000 lbs. per year.
- Flammable waste—50,000 lbs. per year.
- 20,000 square feet of existing carpet has been reused.
- Used 33,000 square feet of renewed/reused carpet that contains 35 percent recycled content.
- Nearly 100 percent of office, cubicle, and laboratory furniture is reusable.
- 80 percent of cleaning chemicals are “green seal.”
- Water for landscape watering will be reduced by 70 percent when xeriscaping is completed in three years.
- 87 percent of bio-hazardous waste (376,000 pounds) is processed on site, avoiding incineration.
- More than 500 employees use some form of mass transit at least once a week.
According to Ronald L. Weiss, MD, MBA, president and COO of ARUP Laboratories, “We are very honored to receive this recognition from RCU. ARUP has taken steps to accept responsibility for the impact our activities have on our customers, employees, and communities. By voluntarily taking these steps our employees have contributed to improving the quality of life, assisting our local communities, and reducing environmental damage.”
About the Recycling Coalition of Utah (RCU)
RCU is a coalition of municipalities, businesses, institutions and individuals committed to improving recycling in Utah. As the State of Utah's official resource on recycling, RCU will provide value to existing and new members committed to increasing and improving recycling, conservation and solid waste reduction in Utah by:
- Promoting awareness of recycling, waste reduction and conservation through special events and advertising campaigns.
- Increasing the implementation of Recycling Market Development Zones (RMDZ) in Utah municipalities.
- Fostering a network of people committed to sharing ideas and information about recycling.
- Supporting legislation that promotes effective recycling.
- Promoting the purchase and use of recycled products and assisting in developing new markets for recyclable products.
- Supporting national recycling efforts through membership in the National Recycling Coalition and other national recycling organizations.
- Providing technical information about recycling, conservation, composting, and reuse.
- Expanding the membership base of RCU.
About ARUP Laboratories
ARUP Laboratories is a national clinical and anatomic pathology reference laboratory and an enterprise of the University of Utah and its Department of Pathology. With 2,300 employees, ARUP offers in excess of 2,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine screening tests to highly esoteric molecular and genetic assays, for patients throughout the country. ARUP’s clients include more than half of the nation's university teaching hospitals and children's hospitals, as well as multi-hospital groups, major commercial laboratories, group purchasing organizations, military and government facilities, and major clinics. In addition, ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development, led by the efforts of the ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology®.
ARUP Contact Information:
Ronald L. Weiss, MD, MBA
President and Chief Operating Officer