March 24, 2004 - ARUP Named One of The
Most Family-Friendly Companies for 4th Year
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH, March 24, 2004 — For the fourth consecutive year, Associated Regional and University Pathologists, Inc. (ARUP Laboratories), a Utah-based national reference laboratory, has been named to the Utah Department of Workforce Services' list of Utah's Top 10 Most Family-Friendly Companies. ARUP was selected from more than 50 companies to receive this distinguished award which is based on the ability of a company to create a family-friendly workplace.
President and COO Dr. Ron Weiss accepted the award.
Throughout ARUP's 20-year history, creating a healthy work environment has continually ranked among its chief objectives. Company leaders recognize the importance of maintaining a corporate culture which emphasizes integrity, hard work, mutual respect, well-being, and trust, and have developed ways to address ARUP's business needs as well as its employees' work/life concerns.
"We try to listen to the needs of our people and do everything that we can to meet those needs," says ARUP's President and COO Ronald Weiss, M.D., M.B.A. "We believe that when we treat our employees well, they treat our customers with the same care and respect."
ARUP supports its employees with a variety of generous benefits, including low-cost medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, life, and disability insurance. Additional benefits include:
- A free on-site health clinic for all employees and their immediate family members;
- Flexible job schedules where employees can choose traditional hours, days, nights, weekend shifts, four- or three-day work weeks, or seven days on, seven days off;
- A profit sharing plan which includes a quarterly cash bonus based on profits in addition to a traditional deferred plan;
- Adoption benefits;
- Benefits for domestic partners of either sex;
- Group long-term care insurance;
- Liberal tuition reimbursement and continuing education programs;
- A Health and Wellness Program which includes an on-site fitness center, on-site fitness consultants, and classes such as weight management, yoga, smoking cessation, and stress management;
- An Employee Assistance Program which provides free short-term counseling for family, marital, abuse, drug and alcohol abuse, work, depression, eating disorders, financial, legal, and emotional problems; and,
- An assortment of recognition programs, including employee of the month and year awards, team spirit awards, quarterly gifts, bonuses for successfully referring a new employee to ARUP, and cost savings incentives.
Von Madsen, ARUP's assistant vice president of human resources, believes these programs are valuable and have a positive impact on the workplace. "As a result of our family-friendly position, ARUP has enjoyed high morale and productivity, low turnover and absenteeism, enhanced recruitment and retention, and positive customer relations."
"I think that ARUP's philosophy is what makes this place great," says Bonnie Messinger, a quality manager who has been with the company since the beginning. "It's a culture of caring."
ARUP Laboratories is a national full-service reference laboratory owned by the University of Utah. ARUP is a worldwide leader in innovative laboratory research and development, led by the efforts of the ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, LLC. With revenue greater than $190 million and more than 1,600 employees, ARUP offers 2,000 tests and test combinations, ranging from routine cytology screens to highly esoteric molecular and genetic assays. Rather than competing with its clients, ARUP chooses instead to support clients' existing test menus by offering highly complex and unique tests which enhance their abilities to provide local and regional laboratory services. ARUP's clients include university teaching hospitals, multihospital groups, major commercial laboratories, group purchasing organizations, military and government facilities, major clinics, and major pharmaceutical firms.
Ronald L. Weiss, M.D., M.B.A.
President and Chief Operating Officer: